New Bells Arriving at St. Swithun's church in 1982
The Bells at St. Swithun's church
Treble: 4-2-21 Tenor: 28-3-10 12 Bells in ‘D’
The Bishop of Horsham dedicated the 12 bells on 9th November 1985. The twelve bell peal, the first in Sussex, marked the centenary of the Sussex County Association of Bell Ringers. In actual fact the fine tower of St. Swithun's contains 13 bells, the sharp second allowing for greater flexibility in ringing.
The original eight bells were installed in 1813 but necessary restoration work in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s resulted in the opportunity being taken to augment to ten bells. This normally expensive exercise was made possible by fundraising, covenanting and grants. In 1981 the bells were ordered from the Royal Eijsbouts Foundry in the Netherlands, with fittings from Eayres and Smith. The local ringers removed the old bells, frame and grillage and did much of the hard work to enable the work to be completed at the minimum cost.
There was much celebration in 1985 when the three new front bells were added to augment the peal to twelve bells. Luckily the tower is big enough to take the extra bells. Again the ringers provided much of the labour for the work to be carried out and their work is a legacy to which we must all be grateful.
More Photographs, Do you recognise anyone?